Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fired up!

I have run into some infuriating moms lately, and realize how quickly my blood can get boiling. Last week at the park, a mother who was obviously frusterated with her child put her hand over his mouth and nose to stop him from who knows what. I first I didn't comprehend the situation, but quickly realized the boy was panicked and struggling for a breath. At this point I headed over, and she abrubtly stopped. As an adult, this would bring me to flailing, kicking, and screaming....being restrained in this way, this boy could do nothing to help himself.
Today on my way into a small retail store, the kind where you can park in front of and keep an eye on your car from any where I ran into another I-Mom. Anyway, there was a boy in the back of the station wagon absolutely screaming. His face was red and the sun was beating down on him the way he was sitting in the car. There was three other kids in the car, but not in the direct sun. It was not a particularly hot day, but enough to heat up a car in the sun for sure, and not a window cracked. I was furious!!! I ran into the store, and told the ladies that there was an absolutely miserable boy in the back of the car burning up. The mom casually says, "that's my car, and my oldest daughter is in there." Keep in mind that the oldest child in the car was maybe 4 or 5 and buckled in. She just kept on talking trying to say it is so hard to bring the kids in for a quick trip into the store. This store actually has a kids play area and a kids movie playing. I was pissed!!! I can understand making bad choices here and there to help get through the day, but really a used childrens store isn't exactly a necasary errand. She didn't even check on the boy that minute.
It is so hard to decide what is the right thing to do in these types of situations. You don't want to make an incompatent frusterated parent more frusterated and have them take it out on the kids, but I feel like being a bistander isn't acceptable either. It is so hard to watch the irresponsiblity of parents, I am definately not perfect, and have had more than one bad day with the kids, but really moms get it together.....there are moms out there like me in there third trimester with a hair trigger for fury....I am watching.

1 comment:

Grammy Dee said...

Wendy Lou,
It's not just your "hair trigger fury" that is driving this, it's your common sense, love and compassion for all children. You keep on watching because you are doing the right thing!